The Windjammer Inn
Sweet Potato Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potato
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F
- In a bowl mix all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt). Cut in butter pieces with pastry cutter or two knives (or your fingers) until the mixture is a rough and crumbly texture.
- In a separate bowl mix together sweet potato, and sugar.
- Combine the wet with the dry, stirring until the dough comes together. You may need to add more flour, depending on how juicy the sweet potatoes are.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll or pat out the dough to roughly 3/4 inches in thickness. Cut into desired shapes and place on a parchment lined or greased baking sheet. Brush the tops with the heavy cream.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Cool for 10 minutes before eating ( if you can!!).